Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh, snap! It's all in the kiss....

What exactly is the *snap* that sends us head over heels in love? I'm not referring to the lustful desire to tie the drummer to a headboard, but rather the desire to stay after I pin him to the headboard.

There has to be some scientific chemistry (not just in the metaphysical sense) that causes our cheeks to flush red at the mention of a name. The slightest skin brush sends shivers up our spines even when it's not Joaquin Phoenix we run into.

I've fallen head over heels. Yes, me. I fall often, but it's rare that I fall this hard. Oddly, if I were to pick out the type of person I would be attracted to based on physical characteristics, he'd be the opposite. Yet somewhere in the doe eyes and soft hands it all fades away. I'm in love and lust all at the same time. I picture all the skinemax scenarios possible at just about any given point in the day and somehow still answer when he asks me how to calculate depreciation.

I'm not sure how it happened. I would say that I liked this boy and was interested. But not quite smitten. And then we started hanging out, going to dinner, texting and talking. We end up going out one night, and I decide to let it slip that I'm interested. And then we're kissing. And OH. MY. GOD. It was amazing. Not sloppy. Not off pattern. Just amazing. And then I was done.

Which is why I've come to the conclusion that it's all in the kiss. In retrospect, I've kissed several men, most of which were pretty great, and all I can think about is this one night, reminiscent of a high schoolmake out session? Every single person I've kissed faded away in that one moment and WHAM! I'm done.

The "thing" is, we can all remember someone we were in puppy love with and then kissed. And it went one of three ways: Terrible and we immediately lost interest. Mediocre, so we gave it another chance and eventually lost interest. Or amazing and we were smitten. Sound familiar?

Granted, you fall in love and (likely) if you're kissing someone new you've fallen out of it. Or it didn't work out for one reason or another. But, oh snap...when you fall again....

No comments:

Post a Comment