Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hell and afterlife

Hell. Afterlife. Heaven. Do any of them exist?


I am a Christian, and have been so for many years. Even in Christian circles there is strong debate as to whether hell exists, and if it does what exactly goes on there.

It is my belief that hell exists, and is a place of torment and suffering, with degrees of the aforementioned varying based on the life you lived on earth. I believe in demons and angels.

My attempt with this blog, is to discuss what the rest of the world believes about hell. I have just finished reading the book 23 Minutes in Hell, about a man who believes God took him to hell in order to tell the rest of the world how awful it is. Whether or not this man is telling the truth, it made me think that if hell is anything near as awful as his description, I should not want that anyone go there. Nor would I want to be responsible for not bringing to the attention of the rest of the world that this place exists and one can choose not to go.

My intention is not to force you into believing anything, but perhaps open some eyes/ears to the subject and get others thinking as this book did for me. I also know that if someone else believed that I couldn't get to heaven, or even avoid hell, if I didn't wear a purple neclace or jump up and down twenty times a day, I might not believe them, but I'd want to know. I'd want to think about it.

Here's what I want to discuss:

1) Do you believe hell exists?

2) If so, what do you believe happens there?

3) Do you believe you are going to heaven/hell/somewhere else after life?

We will keep discussing such things as children in hell, what demons are like, and more, should anyone wish to participate. I am honestly trying to learn more about the subject as well as discuss the topic. Although I always keep an open mind, I can tell you I will not change my beliefs as far as how to avoid hell or whether it exists, but am interested in discussing others' views and also discussing what hell is actually like (for those who believe it does exist).

I will likely comment once daily, so you can keep checking for updates to continue the discussion if you'd like =)

No comments:

Post a Comment